Our philosophy of personal service for our customers allows us to reduce the worry and concern naturally associated with moving your home. This has enabled us over 65 years to build up a reputation for quality, which we believe is reflected in the fact that 54% of our customers come to us through recommendations from others we have moved.
Contact us to learn more about the quality of service we provide
Cooks of Cranleigh are proud to be members of the moving industry’s top professional body, the British Association of Removers (BAR).
Using a BAR Member for your house move will ensure the move day goes smoothly with added peace of mind that comes from using a reputable, professional and safe remover, and in the unlikely event that something goes wrong, you've got someone to turn to. Here’s a quick summary of how the BAR helps and protects you, the consumer:
1. Provides Financial Protection - a scheme of pre-payment protection for customers of BAR members (more detailed info below).
2. Sets high professional standards for the industry through its strict Membership Criteria, and the BAR Code of Practice, approved by the Trading Standards Institute (more detailed info below).
3. Offers an independent, alternative dispute resolution service in the unlikely event that something goes wrong (more detailed info below).
4. Raises standards in the industry, by giving clear professional advice.
5. Makes available model sets of fair Trading Terms and Conditions for members to use on their quotations.
6. Lobbies government at local, National and European level to ensure that the industry and the public get a fair deal.
Financial Protection and Pre-payment protection for customers of BAR members.
If a BAR remover cancels a removal more than 10 days before the agreed date for the work it must pay you back everything you paid to them.
If a BAR remover cancels less than 10 days before the agreed date it must pay you 150% of the monies paid.
If a BAR member is not able to do the work on the agreed day or pay the 150% refund, then the BAR Pre-payment Protection Scheme will be speedily activated to have the work completed by another member or provide you with a full refund. Here are the BAR conditions for Pre-Payment protection:
1. The purpose of this Scheme is to protect Customers’ pre-payments and deposits in respect of removal or shipping services contracted with BAR Members.
2. The Scheme covers:
2.1. all household removals carried out within UK by qualified and approved Members of BAR.
2.2. all international removals carried out by qualified and approved Members of the BAR Overseas Group.
3. In the event of the Remover suffering financial failure and ceasing to trade Customers’ pre-payments will be secured to the extent of:
a) The provision of equivalent removal services by another contractor. The liability of
BAR always being limited to the amount of the original contract price excluding any
insurance premiums paid as part of the removals contract..
b) Full refund of that proportion of the advance payments made at the time of the
Remover ceasing to trade relating to removal services which have not been provided.
4. Any Customer who suffers a loss as a result of the financial failure of the Remover should
request a claim form from BAR at the address below.
5. The following information will be required:
5.1. copy of the removal contract and details of which elements, if any, have been completed (e.g. packing, effects already in transit, etc)
5.2. Proof of payment (copies of relevant invoices or receipts)
5.3. Method of payment. (Payments made by credit card should be able to be reclaimed under the provisions of the Consumer Credit Act (Section 75:)
6. This Scheme is not transferable or assignable and is limited to the failure of the Remover.
7. BAR cannot accept any liability for loss or damage to the Customer’s goods or property.
The BAR Code of Practice, approved by the Trading Standards Institute.
The British Association of Removers Code of Practice is the only code in the moving industry that’s approved and monitored by the Trading Standards Institute.
All BAR members abide by the Code that dictates: the standards of service you will receive, the quality of the materials used, the standards of vehicles and warehouses, staff training requirements, what will happen if something goes wrong and most importantly the Code requires BAR moving companies to deal with you in a courteous and sympathetic way at all times.
Every BAR Member makes the following key commitments:
To act fairly and reasonably with you and uphold all the standards contained in the Code. Our key commitments are:
To make sure that our advertising and promotional literature is clear and not misleading.
To provide you with a clear description, price and timetable for the work carried out.
To offer insurance or other protection options.
To explain clearly our liability for loss or damage, the time limit for making claims, and cancellation/postponement rights and charges.
To provide staff who are courteous, competent, and committed to providing a high standard of service.
To deal quickly and sympathetically with things that go wrong.
To publicise this Code, have copies freely available and make sure our staff are trained to put it into practice.
The Trading Standards Institute (TSI) monitors the performance of all BAR members, to make sure that they are operating within the BAR Code of Practice and that the Code is working properly in the customers’ interests. You can help by completing the customer satisfaction survey your BAR remover will give you.
Independent, alternative dispute resolution service.
If you have a complaint about service, your BAR member will try to resolve it fairly, quickly and efficiently. In the event of a dispute relating to the provision of a service covered by this Code, which cannot be resolved, either the Customer or the Member may refer it to the low cost independent Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provided by the Association, on email@example.com Tel: 01923 699 486. Referral of a dispute to the ADR scheme does not prevent the Customer from taking subsequent legal action.
We adhere to the British Association of Removers Alternative Dispute Resolution Scheme which is independently operated by;
The Property Ombudsman
43-55 Milford Street